(Oh haaaaaay, millennial words) :)
I look for reviews of products and recipes, and I’ve found
blogs to be great resources for all kinds of needs.
Through B&B, I hope to share my recipe, travel, and
product experiences with you (along with some quirky anecdotes…seriously, some
days my life is a bad sitcom). I love cooking, reading, all things related to
make-up, clothes, gardening, traveling, and photography.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be posting some pretty “staple” recipes.
Cuz, let’s be honest, when you’re learning how to make toast,
it’s probably not the time to start exploring the how-to’s of a Poularde de
Bresse Truffee en Vessie.
Yeah. That exists.
And I’m the person learning to make toast.
Ok, perhaps that was a slight exaggeration…but I’m no chef.
Ok, perhaps that was a slight exaggeration…but I’m no chef.
I’m not an expert; I have minimal experience in the kitchen.
My mom is like a lot of moms out there. She’s a fantastic cook. However, when I
asked for some of her recipes, her response went something like this,
“Oh! That’s easy! You just take blah blah, and just throw in
some onion, add some milk, you know, however much you want. Then just add the
spices, doesn’t matter how muchit’ssoeasyanyonecanmakethisdishandblahblahblahblahblah….”
MOTHER!!
MOTHER!!
As much as I love her cooking, I have yet to be able to
reproduce her “audio” recipes. Nope.
She cooks without measurements, and that just doesn’t work
for me.
The first time I tried to add spices “to taste” I shook the spice jar over the
spaghetti sauce ONCE and the lid came off. Needless to say, that was some
SERIOUS old school spicy spaghetti sauce.
So yes. I measure. Yay, teaspoons!
Today, I’ve solved one of life’s great mysteries: how to
create delicious peanut butter cookies WITHOUT shortening.
Crisco, I love you.
My stomach holds fond childhood memories of peanut butter cookie goodness thanks to you.
Crisco, I love you.
My stomach holds fond childhood memories of peanut butter cookie goodness thanks to you.
But we need to end things.
I’m sorry, but this is where we part.
I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve had a time trying
to find a good recipe for these cookies that isn’t dry, crumbly, etc.
But people? I’ve found it.
In fact, I found TWO!! :D
The first recipe is more in depth. It has flour and quite a few ingredients. But the cookies are divine! They are puffy and have a cake-y consistency.
The second is a faster recipe to throw together, and the
cookies are SO good!
They’re a little more buttery tasting than the first recipe.
You shall love them.
They’re a little more buttery tasting than the first recipe.
You shall love them.
I HIGHLY recommend both.
Please try them! You won’t be disappointed.
For the first cookies (soft and cake-y), start with some flour:
Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and whisk it together:
In a different bowl, mix butter and peanut butter together:
Add in eggs,
and some milk,
and vanilla!
Mix together! (My poor puppy was DYING, the peanut butter smell was so strong.)
Grab some white sugar for flattening the cookies:
You can use a fork or a spatula (depending on the look you want). Wet the spatula and dip in the sugar. Then, flatten the cookies and bake:
Cool the cookies on the sheet for 1 minute, then on a cookie rack for 5:
Ta-daaa! Enjoy!
(skip to the bottom of the post for full recipe)
As I said, the first recipe is so good, but this next one goes a little faster. Still delish, though! Perfect if you don't have a lot of time!
Start with peanut butter:
Add some light brown sugar:
and some white sugar:
Mix those ingredients together
Then, add in eggs,
baking soda,
and some kosher salt:
Mix the dough together!
Roll the dough into balls and flatten with a fork dipped in sugar:
Bake and enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 36 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 10-12 minutes
Nutrition: Serving Size - 1 cookie * Calories: 114 * Fat: 8g * Sat. Fat: 5g * Cholesterol: 26g * Sodium: 89mg * Potassium: 18mg * Carbs: 10g * Fiber: 0g * Sugars: 7g * Protein: 1g * Iron: 9%
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter (I used smooth)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Extra sugar for sprinkling/flattening
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside.
In another bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter together until fluffy. Add sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix. Add the milk and vanilla extract.
Add the flour mixture and stir together.
Pour sprinkling sugar onto a plate. Wet a fork or spatula and dip into sugar. Roll dough into balls and flatten with fork or spatula on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. DO NOT over bake. They might look like they're not done, but they are.
Cool cookies on baking sheet for 1 minute, then on cookie racks until completely cool.
Notes:
I baked these for a bit too long at 11 minutes. I think 10 would have been perfect.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 36 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 10-12 minutes
Nutrition: Serving Size - 1 cookie * Calories: 139 * Fat: 10g * Sat. Fat: 7g * Cholesterol: 37g * Sodium: 173mg * Potassium: 28mg * Carbs: 12g * Fiber: 0g * Sugars: 12g * Protein: 0g * Iron: 5%
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugars, eggs, baking soda, and salt until smooth.
Shape the dough in balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Using a fork dipped in sugar, flatten each cookie.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time, until puffed and golden brown. The cookies will deflate as they cool.
Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes:
Recipe from Real Simple































No comments:
Post a Comment